Friday, December 31, 2010

2010: That's the Year, and (Thankfully) Not My Weight

As 2010 draws to a close, I'm trying desperately to get back into the habit of blogging regularly. I've been slacking, despite many, many complaints from those eight folks out there who read what I write. So! Tonight I'm tackling the same year-end questionnaire that I did at the end of 2009. (I'm using the modified version from Linda's blog, so it's not identical to last year's.)

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Publicly (well, by way of my blog) admitted my weight. The last time I did that, I was in third grade. As part of a numbers/math exercise, we all wrote our weights on the chalkboard. I had no idea that I weighed "too much" until I wrote my number and heard the class gasp.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I'm proud to say that I absolutely DID do what I said I would:

"To take the damn NCE and be done with my massage certification once and for all." CHECK. Took and passed the NCE, and I'm now finally working full-time as a CMT at a place I really, really love.

"Another is to resolve all of my seemingly never-ending medical issues (hernia, knee, facial cyst, and now gall bladder)." CHECK #2. Although the hernia business required a third and horribly unexpected surgery, and the knee turned out to be nothing. Well, nothing except a random slug of metal in my femur, but, you know.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes! Smith and his wife brought an adorable daughter into the world in January. And my old Starbucks pals Megan (who has a blog herself) and Lisa had their second daughter and son, respectively. And Mona! Mona had a baby, too. Oh! The lovely super-mommy Luce rounded out her gang with a son, too. I may be forgetting somebody, but dang. Was 2010 the year of the newborn or what?

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Fortunately, no. But I'm sad to say that several of my friends suffered losses this year.

5. What countries did you visit?
None. LAME!

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
More focus -- I've been a little all over the place this year.

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 17th -- Welcome, Baby S!
May something -- FINALLY left Starbucks. For good.

April 24th -- The anniversary that almost wasn't.

November 4th -- My epiphany day (also known as the day I got my cajones back)
December 13th -- Broke the 204 lb plateau, finally.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I have to say, I'm most proud of the fact that I finally, FINALLY took the NCE. It had been hanging over my head for so long. Now that it's done, I've been able to go back to what I love doing most: MASSAGE.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I think I could have been a much better wife this year. I didn't work as hard at that as I have in years past, and it showed. Sorry, Hubs.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Cue the hernia-inducing laughter here. Oh man. Three surgeries (one minor, two major), many trips to the hospital, more prescriptions than you can shake a stick at. Not a good year, health-wise. But hey! I'm still here!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPhone. The only thing that even comes close is my CamelBak water bottle.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Debt (sigh) and our lovable, aging house.

13. What did you get really excited about?
Massage, finally. And exercising, which is awesome but weird.

14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Not a song, but a whole album: Jack Johnson's "Sleep Through the Static," mostly because I got to listen to it on repeat for two hours almost every week.


15. Compared to this time last year, are you:


...happier or sadder? Hmm. Sadder about some things, happier about others. Sorry to be cryptic, but I'm still working through a lot of crap. Bear with me.

...thinner or fatter? THINNER, and how mothereffing good does it feel to type that?! TWENTY POUNDS DOWN FROM THIS TIME LAST YEAR, PEOPLE.

...richer or poorer? Well, we made a decision that resulted in the elimination of a lot of our debt, but we're still in that weird place where I'm not making quite enough money for us to be super comfortable. It's getting better though. So both, I guess?

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Yoga. Writing. Hugging. Saying NO.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Eating (blargh!). Thinking about the past. Obsessing.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
Same as last year, with the Fam, at my house. It was a little more stressful this year, but it was good.


19. What was your favorite TV program?
You know, I honestly can't say. We got rid of cable, so I've been watching stuff on Netflix. I can't think of a single show that I made a point of watching on a regular basis. After the huge letdown that was the LOST series finale, I think I was too pissed to commit to another show.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't read much this year. I re-read a few favorites, but I don't think I read any bestsellers.


21. What was your favorite music from this year?

I got sucked into the Lady Gaga frenzy (YES!), and I spent more time looking for and listening to electronic stuff. And by that I mean house music, NOT this weird shit performed by hipsters in BCG glasses and their little sisters' jeans. (And if you don't know what BCGs are, go ask somebody who's been in the Army.)

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
If you can believe it, I didn't see a single movie in the theater this year. I actually had to Google "films of 2010" to remind myself what came out. The few that I did see from this year, I saw on Netflix after the theatrical run was done. I enjoyed: Brooklyn's Finest, The Crazies, and Get Him to the Greek.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Let's see...surgical consult, pho, shopping, spa day, dinner at my favorite restaurant, and ruining my own surprise party by showing up too early. I was 32.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If my little epiphany in November had happened, oh, six or eight months sooner -- yeah, that would've been great.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
My entire closet is black clothes. Seriously.

26. What kept you sane?
My little man (although as the days go by, he's getting much better at driving me crazy). Smith. Music. Most recently, Rachel. I must have done something pretty fantastic in a past life to deserve having a friend like her in this one.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.


I keep going back to my day in November. I haven't written about it here for a number of reasons, but to sum it up in the simplest and least drama-causing way, it finally dawned on me that if something is making me unhappy, I CAN CHANGE IT. People bitch all the time about their lives, their jobs, their kids, their spouses, everything. And that's fine; we all need to vent. But if something is making you truly, truly unhappy...what are you waiting for? Make the change. I did, and I plan to keep doing it in 2011, and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment