Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Habit

This week's habit: Eat breakfast before 10 AM.

I don't usually eat breakfast. If you have a toddler, or a work schedule that's different every week, you understand. (I have both.)

If I work during the week, I'm at my store by 4:45 AM. My only interest at that hour of the day is in a big cup of something hot, caffeinated, and preferably tasting of vanilla. I get a ten minute break during my shift, and if I eat anything, it's something loaded with fat and/or sugar from our pastry case. Do we have healthier options? Yes. Do I eat them? No.

By the time my husband comes to the store at 8:45, all I want to do is get my son and go home. And when we get home, I nap while the Kid naps, or work on my computer (read: play stupid, time-wasting games on Facebook), or clean, or watch TV. Before I know it, it's lunch time, and I haven't eaten anything. I'm starving. So I scarf down whatever's nearby, or worse yet, make a run to the store and eat what I've bought on the way home.

I'm hoping that a solid breakfast (like oatmeal and fruit, or Greek yogurt, which O MY GOD WHY DID I NOT DISCOVER THIS SOONER?) will keep me from going food-crazy at lunchtime, which in turn will keep me from overdoing it at dinner time. We'll see what the scale says next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment